The Thermo-Electric Peltier Effect air conditioning project has begun. I removed the Saturn dash. This is the third time and probably not the last.
The first 2 dash removals were to install the [[http://saturn.lynnautorepair.com/node/189|hot water heat system in 2008]]. The second time was to [[http://saturn.lynnautorepair.com/EV%20Hot%20Liquid%20Heater%20to%20a%20Ceramic%20Heater|change the heater to a ceramic style in 2009]]. Now the third is to install a thermo electric device. If you check out the images, you see it is a big job. Next vehicle I convert I will consider the ease of HVAC removal.
I would like to be able to use the original controls blowing out cooled air on drivers face and heat on the floor or windshield.
After removing the HVAC housing and measuring available space for the TEC unit I come up with a trapezoid 10 inches by 3″ on one side and 10″ by 5.5 on the other. The third dimension is 7 inches horizontally..
I need to install the TEC against the firewall so as to be able to use heat sinks on the hot side placed outside the cabin space and into the underhood air flow. Heat dissipation air flow can be increased by a small cooling fan when sitting still and by a ram effect tube and, or a draft suction tube when moving?
• What space do I have in HVAC case if the TEC unit is installed in a position where the hot heat sinks would be external on the case towards the firewall?
• Make 3D drawings or at least 2D on graph paper.
• What space is there between HVAC case and firewall (maybe 1 or 2 inches) factoring in the insulation.
• What space is available under-hood between fire wall and any components?
• Figure HVAC case enlargement modifications measurements and check for space above HVAC?
• Cool side heat sink fins are vertical, air flow is horizontal, how to modify that?
• HVAC (cold side) airflow must be required to flow between fins. How do I route this?
• Air flow past hot side heat sink at idle, use a cooling fan.
• Take advantage of moving vehicle airflow for hot side either ram effect or draw suction effect.
• Run some tests before completely installing in dash and modify as needed.