The weekend of the 8th was busy with a Royal Ambassador hiking trip to Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park. So come Monday I returned to the long term EV Saturn project.
The 50 feet of 2/0 welding cable EVAmerica sent me, to do the conversion was not enough. BTW 2/0 is called “two aught”.
I purchased 10 more feet of the black two aught cable at a local welding supply. I went with the black only, instead of red for positive and black negative because who is so organized to know how much of each you will need.
After going over items still to do; I realized I had a lot of cable still to go. Besides the cables between
1. Each 18 batteries, making 17 cables, there are:
2. One from the most positive battery to the Anderson Disconnect
3. One from the most negative battery to the Anderson Disconnect
4. Two from the Anderson Disconnect to each of the Contactors (huge relays one on positive and negative side)
5. One extra one because the inline fuse is between two of the in series batteries.
6. Two from the contactors to the controller.
7. Two from the controller to the motor.
8. One extra where the shunt for the ammeter is in series of the negative cable going to the motor
9. One that jumps between two terminals on the Advanced DC motor A2 to S2.
That makes, let’s see…… 28 cables.
This is a Quick Cable brand part # 4255-001 $240 crimping tool I purchased from EVAmerica. It was worth it. Here I vised one handle to lesson the effort required. Use one hand to keep the cable in the lug and one hand to move the handle.